Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Honor - To Have And Have Not

After these many months of silence I find I am once again compelled to express my thoughts.

I have over recent months followed the presidential campaign quite closely and even more closely over the past two weeks and one very specific issue has become crystal clear to me which I want to share with you.

Throughout my life growing up in a military family and in my military career one predominate trait or quality was emphasized and driven home by both my family and every leader I have ever met. That trait or quality was honor. Just to refresh your memory the dictionary defines honor as, honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.

From the time that I had what I believe was probably my very first logical thought about the subject I do not believe that there was ever any doubt in my mind of what the meaning of honor was nor was there ever any doubt of what actions honor required. There was a second thing that I never had any doubt about and that was that once ones honor was compromised it was a permanent and oft never fading blemish.
I know this from personal experience and my own personal failures against which I struggle to this very day. I point that out because I believe that even the most honorable and well intentioned people with the most hard earned sense of honor can fail and that they can be guilty of being dishonorable and I believe that that has happened in the presidential race.

I have known of John McCain for as long as he has been in the public eye. I have, as a fellow soldier and as a fellow citizen, respected him for his extraordinary military and public service. In fact
I believe we as a nation should respect and appreciate and yes honor what he has done for our nation. I believe his have been the actions of an exceptionally brave and historically honorable man.

However there is something else that I believe. I believe that past honorable service and dedication to duty and country does not immunize one against poor judgment, failure or even from doing the wrong thing. I believe that ones honor is not something one does once and then puts it on a shelf where it shines forever. Honor is second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour and year by year. It is only as untarnished and undiminished as ones past and ones last action.

It is with great sadness that I say to you that John McCain is not an honorable man today. The reason I say this is because I am observing and hearing reported by every major news organization in this country that he and his running mate are participating in and personally articulating blatant lies. These are not the actions of honorable people. When one is aspiring to the highest and second highest public offices in the land it is incumbent upon one to speak truth and only truth and to communicate about those issues that are vital and of importance to the citizens of the nation. It is not honorable for individuals to speak lies to the citizens and make unproven accusations against those whom they oppose. When one opposes another person in vying for public office it becomes even more important to insure that one speaks the truth and deals with issues and substantive differences and not innuendo and accusation.

The fact that John McCain is a former Naval Officer and a sitting United States Senator makes this lack of honor horribly reprehensible. But I think what makes this lack of honor so disgusting and even more vile is that he would lose himself to the point of using his own sacrifice and service as a shield to commit such petit dishonorable acts of lying. Conservative, liberal, or Independent, share his beliefs or not, it would be morally reprehensible for anyone to support someone who displays so little honor. Sometimes we must call them like they are. Prisoner of war or not service to country or not there is a line and John McCain and his running mate have crossed the line.

This nation has endured eight long years of lies and deceptions from the two highest ranking public figures in the country and virtually their entire administration. Our honor as a nation is not just blemished but in tatters and we cannot endure another four or eight years of the same. If for no other reason than the fact that John McCain and his vice presidential running mate have publicly lied and continue to lie this nation needs to insure that he does not occupy the office of the president. Our nation needs honor above all else at this crucial point in our history. With honor comes respect and from these come all else.

Those Are The Sergeant Major's Thoughts On That.

12 comments:

The Lighthouse Keeper said...

Thank you for posting again. We've missed you a great deal over the last year. I in particular have missed you.

The_Lighthouse_Keeper@DailyKos

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Sergeant Major, thanks for this, both here and on DailyKos.

Very well written, and timely. Honor in this day and age is something too few people think seriously about. It's something we need to learn to think about, especially in the next few months.

celticshel@DailyKos

deha said...

Well said. I always enjoy your posts. They restore my faith in people.

Anonymous said...

I was to glad to see you post at Daily Kos. I admire the straightforward and heartfelt quality of your diaries and this one is no exception.

zett

Mark Keating said...

Thank you Sgt. Major Meyers. I have wondered what people who have worn the uniform of our country's armed forces have thought of Sen. McCain's misuse of it.

Now I know.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, very well-said. I'm glad I noticed it on DailyKos!

As a military spouse of an active-duty deployed soldier, I especially appreciate hearing from veterans and soldiers who are sick of McCain exploiting his own military service. Thanks for writing this.

I'm going to link to this post from my own blog for my friends and family to read -- hope you get a *little* bit of extra traffic! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank You for Daily Kos post. Your genuine voice is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughts on Honor. Please do one about Courage and Responsibility, too! Many people do not understand how inextricably responsibility and duty are so very simply linked to what we know as courageous acts. The courageous thing that we celebrate is usually the humble reflection of duty and responsibility; courageous people report that they simply act because their sense of responsibility and duty called them to do something that we later call Heroic. But they don't usually see it that way.

Anonymous said...

Sergeant Major,

More honorable words have not been written.

I very much appreciate your thoughts on this issue and agree whole heartedly.

Anonymous said...

Youm my dear sir, haven't a clue. I also, am a military person from a military family with ranking (West Point grads included). Your "facts" are the typical liberal falsifications and I expected better from you. You did give credit for military service however, your railing of the current administration and mis-information regarding statements made is an embarrassment. Honor, dear sir, is not yours in this instance. Please try to stick to facts and be bi-partisan. The media isn't but I expect better from our military leaders.

mim said...

I am not a military person, but I respect the troops as an active volunteer with Books for Soldiers. I am glad that you wrote. I appreciate hearing your words. I don't think you need to be bi-partisan as the previous commenter suggests. You have every right to express your opinions in as partisan-ship way as everyone else. (not that you need me to tell you this.) Best to you and thanks again for posting.