Friday, November 18, 2005

Apathy Is The Key (Or How To Be A Complete Failure)

At what point does one just scream. I have to tell you that I was aghast at an article in my local newspaper today. What shocked me so was an article on the results of a local ballot initiative to determine if the city would participate and invest in a coal powered power plant project. I am one of those people who say if you want to complain about it then vote about it. Otherwise just shut up. And because I’m one of those people that votes I never shut up and that would be why you are reading this. Well I’m livid over this power plant issue because first of all I didn’t have a vote, I don’t live “in the city” but in the county, and secondly I am very near the city so even though I will not benefit from this project, in that I won’t be getting my electricity from the power plant, I will be living with the consequences of its construction because I’m in its pollution zone. There is a third thing I’m seriously bothered by and I think it bothers me even more than my not being able to vote on the issue. The thing that bothers me the most is the number of people who voted. Now I understand low voter turn out. I really do. Honest. You know how it goes. It’s like this; it’s too cold, it’s rainy, it’s too busy, it’s not at a convenient time, it’s not at a convenient place, the polls aren’t open late enough and on and on and on with every excuse in the book but hey, I can live with all that. No, really here is my heart burn. They……mailed……the……..ballot…….to……you. That’s right and……It……came….. with……a……postage……paid…….envelope. And you……had……three……weeks......to ……mark……the……ballot……and……mail……it……back. And you don’t VOTE WHY?

The total voter turnout for the ballot initiative was 34% and since the measure passed by 60% of the vote that means that about 18% of the registered voters in the city decided that they would all participate in the project. Eighteen percent decided because the other 66% of the voters were too lazy and apathetic to mark the ballot, put it in the envelope, and put it in their mail box! What’s that all about? Please! Tell me what that is all about. You can tell this one really has me going can’t you. That’s because I simply do not understand people who, by not exercising their constitutionally and God given right to vote, would put theirs and their families lives and health and future in the hands of every other George, Dick, and Condi. The sad reality of this is that our local electorate is a microcosm of the general electorate. You understand that because voter turnout is not a whole lot better during a general election we live with the rule of the few who vote. This is precisely why the neo-conservatives are in power in Washington today. They are in power because voters are so completely apathetic and the radical right can get the base mobilized and out to vote on wedge issues and because of that we stand at the threshold of a cultural and economic meltdown. What part of that’s STUPID don’t you understand?

Those are The Sergeant Majors thoughts on that.

No comments: