Friday, October 14, 2005

Incompetent Or Traitorous

Thought I'd try something new today. I haven't had time to read a paper or website and that is very unusual for me. So I thought I'd just reflect a little bit on an unfolding event of the week. By the way in case I haven't told you I also occasionally watch Chris Mathews and Hardball. I like Chris (Don't know him personally though.) but I'm just not sure he always plays Hardball. I've noticed that when he gets certain guest on Hardball he gets a little softbally. Well actually that commentary should be for another day and the only reason I bring it up is that he has been talking about my subject of the day all week.

So today I wanted to just chat about Plamegate. You remember the outing of a covert CIA operative. Tired of that too huh? Well I'm going to talk about it anyway. You see this issue is close to my heart for two reasons. First, because while I was in the military, (That would be the United States Army) I was in fact a Top Secret Control Officer. Yep, I'm talking about it right here on the Internet. NOT! And second, I understand deeply what horrendous damage to our nation the divulging of classified information can do. So let's get on with my thoughts on this. What I want to share with you is that at the time that I was a Top Secret Control Officer I was a somewhat junior Non-commissioned Officer. Now what I want to express to you at this point is that when I took that position I was promptly and thoroughly educated on the control of "classified" information. That is educated and briefed on how to handle and what to say and not say about everything from sensitive material all the way up to Top Secret (NOFORN). Now that last part means, No FOReign Nationals were allowed to possess or have any knowledge of the information. When I completed that little education and briefing period I possessed a clear understanding of classified information and how to control and communicate the information. I also had to sign a document acknowledging that I understood these things. One other note here. The entire time (27 years) that I was in the military I was briefed at each change in duty on the control of classified documents up to the level of security I "“needed to know about"”.

Having given you that little background let me get down to the point. It is obvious, based on the information we have received from the news media that at least two members of the Bush administration discussed classified information with people who did not have clearances or a need to know. Both of these individuals occupy positions within the government that would, should, could, and did require them to be "“educated"” and briefed on the control of classified information up to and far beyond that level of security access which even I had in my position as a Top Secret Control Officer. (Last time I checked the Chief of Staff to the Vice President and Deputy Chief of Staff to the President were higher positions than a Top Secret Control Officer in the Army.) And they were required to sign documents acknowledging that they understood the laws and rules and that they would comply in the active sense. One other thing I would point out is that when occupying these positions you are also educated to not even acknowledge conversations that discuss "“possible"” classified information because that too can be divulging classified information.

Having said all of that I must say that one thing is perfectly clear to me. If Karl Rove and Roller Skate (Is that his name?) Libby did not break a law, which I find very, very difficult to believe, they should still be fired for shear incompetence. Now don'’t get me wrong. These are very bright if not brilliant men but they are if not incompetent then simply malicious to the point of being "traitors"” to their country. Yes I said "“traitors"”. Bear in mind that according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary a traitor is "one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty"”. These two bright if not brilliant men discussed classified information with persons who not only did not have a need to know but whom they knew full well would publish the information to the "“world"”.

The Sergeant Majors thoughts are that these two should be indicted tried and sentenced to 40 years in the Fort Leavenworth prison. If not then just fire the SOB'’s.

Those are The Sergeant Majors thoughts on that.

No comments: