Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Chronology Of Lying Presidents – Or Dude! That’s DeJa’Vue

Once in a while I read a blog or article that just nails it and that's just what Eric Alterman did here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3449870/. I say this not only because Eric frequently nails it but because in this particular piece he laments about having to beat dead horses until the hair comes off , as I too so often do, and which is just what I'm about to do again. So here goes and please read on.

On September 11, 2001, when al Qaeda terrorists attacked the United States, I had been retired from the military for just over five years and six months. I, like virtually every other American, was devastated by the images of those airplanes flying into buildings. I was numb and my heart cried out and I thought to myself this is just how my parents felt on that Sunday morning of December the 7th 1941. But, then as the cameras switched over and I watched George W. Bush sit in that school room reading children's stories as this event unfolded I grew nauseous. I thought to myself, is that what Franklin Delano Roosevelt would be doing?

On October 7, 2001, when George W. Bush ordered the invasion of Afghanistan I had been retired from the military for just over five years and seven months. I like virtually every other American, was serious and determined and fully supportive of the president's actions in striking with surgical accuracy and overwhelming deadly force the government that supported, and the terrorists that perpetrated the attack on our nation. I thought to myself this is how our parents felt on June the 6th 1944 when the allies landed at Normandy. In fact I wanted to be back in uniform and to be there and personally pull the trigger one time for each American life that had been taken on 9/11.

On March 20, 2003, when George W. Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq I had been retired from the military for just over seven years and one month. I like virtually every other American, had watched the events leading up to this invasion but now America had become two groups who observed the invasion in two very different ways. There were now those Americans who had grown to believe the president and what he said about the threat of Iraq and its connections to al Qaeda and there were those Americans who were "not so sure" about what the president said about the threat of Iraq and its connections to al Qaeda. I thought to myself, this is just how I felt in 1968 stepping down off of that airplane at Cam Rahn Bay.

In the ensuing years, piece by piece, it has come to light that the justification and reasoning for invading Iraq was based on not just fabrications but out right lies. The fact that there was never a connection between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda or Osama Bin Laden and this was known all along to the president has become obvious. The fact that there were no weapons of mass destruction and this was known all along to the president has become obvious. The fact that Saddam Hussein did not have the technology or means to construct a nuclear bomb and had never tried to acquire yellow cake from Niger and this was known all along to the president has become obvious. As I dwelt on these events as they unfolded and the truth came home hard I thought to myself, This is just how I felt in 1970 as I stepped down off of that airplane in California as I returned from Vietnam and just how I felt in the ensuing years as the truth of that war unfolded.

Now as the truth of this White House, administration, Congress, and Senate unfolds before the American public and we become more aware each day of the lies, deceptions, and the corruption, pandering and deceit, I think to myself, is this not the way we felt as a nation from 1973 until August the 8th, 1974 as we watched another corrupt and contemptible administration crumble under the weight of their remorseless souls.

During those early years of the George W. Bush administration I remained virtually silent only occasionally stepping out in support of veteran's issues and for Red Cross programs and the occasional Veterans Day ceremony. But, for me, as a citizen, a soldier and as an American, when George W. Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq it got my full attention because it was America's blood that was going to poor out on foreign soil. For me as an American he had gone a mile too far.

Our nation does not stand for wanton power as was exercised by the Axis Powers. Our nation does not stand for unprovoked, preemptive strikes as was done at Pearl Harbor. Our nation does not stand for torture as was put upon our soldiers in the camps of the Axis Powers and in Southeast Asia. Our nation does not stand for unlawful imprisonment as was done in the Soviet Empire or is done in the Peoples Republic of China today and our nation does not tolerate the desecrating and violating of our constitution and the trampling of our civil liberties as is the practice in third world dictatorships.

Our nation is a nation of laws. Our nation is a nation of moral stature. Our nation is a nation of civil rights and liberties and our nations laws apply to the meek and poor, and rich and powerful alike. Our nation's laws apply to the citizens and the politicians alike. It is time for the American people to stand up and be heard. We cannot tolerate an administration that blatantly violates the law of the land. We cannot tolerate a legislative branch that can be bought and paid for by the highest bidder. And, we cannot tolerate a government that cares for the rich and famous at the expense of the poor and middle class.

Every American must stand up and be heard. It is only through our personal power and determination that we can take back our government for we have, through apathy, truly lost it. We must demand the truth. We must demand accountability. We must demand justice. And, we must demand it now!

I for one, have begun what I believe will be one of the greatest struggles of my life and that is that I am dedicating myself to doing all I can to give the American government back to the American people.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am not for others, what am I?
And if not now, when?" – Rabbi Hillel

Those Are The Sergeant Majors Thoughts On That.

No comments: