Friday, January 13, 2006

Presidents Lie And Soldiers Die – Or Why I'm Furious

I am furious! I am beyond furious. I am livid! It is my professional military opinion that this president, who purports to be Commander in Chief, is the most incompetent buffoon that has ever walked the halls of government. Just one of the reasons I say this is here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060113/cm_usatoday/
forlackofbodyarmortroopsdiewhythedelay
PS: I pointed this out long ago and it just moved from the sub-lines to the headlines, sort of.

Here are some more reasons:

Here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/
06/11/AR2005061100723.html

Here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4731185/

Here: http://bowman.typepad.com/cubowman/2004/10/more_on
_postinv.html

Here's one more: http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2004/
03/08/iraq_death_spurs_push_for_humvee_armor/


Exactly what does this arrogant, inept, bumbler have to do for the American people to wake up to his idiocy? Does he need to stand in Times Square with a 9mm handgun and blow out a soldiers brains to prove that he is a completely incompetent and malicious autocrat? Why is the Democratic leadership, not demanding, no shouting from the rooftops a call for a Congressional investigation into this negligent dereliction of duty? I understand that I am ranting and Alito is suppose to fill the front pages but this is so very painfully disgusting that I can hardly contain myself.

I simply do not understand! I do not understand what it will take to raise the level of awareness and concern to a point where the citizens of this country, the Democratic Party, and our elected representatives in the Congress and the Senate will demand and take action. If there are any courageous and sane members of Congress left it is time for them to, if nothing else, bring all legislation to a stand still until such time as the Republican leadership does it's constitutionally mandated duty of conducting oversight of the executive branch. But of course this is the Congress that also does not have the courage to demand and act on its constitutional responsibility to declare war and instead lets it just muddle into existence by way of some ambiguous authority for the president to act with all necessary force.

Surely, somewhere, in Washington D.C. there is an elected representative with the moral courage to stand up and say enough is enough and force, through some procedural process, a halt to or at least a slow down of legislative processes in order to force action from Congress. If the Texas State Democratic Representatives can leave their State and bring the Texas State government to a standstill over redistricting then our federal representatives can force action when thousands of American soldiers are being killed and maimed as a result of the Commander in Chiefs incompetent actions. Isn't that what we elected them to do and they took an oath of office to do? I believe their oath says something about defending and upholding the Constitution of the United States.

Okay the steam is pretty much out now.

For nearly four years now this president has repeatedly lied to and misled the American people. There have been and are enough leaks, reports, investigations and inquiries going on to at least demonstrate that he is guilty of dereliction of duty. I believe I could put enough links here keep you reading for a month or two about the gross abuses of power put upon this nation by this president. So I must ask why is something not being done.

Let me answer my own question. The simple answer is that the people, the citizens, the denizens of this nation apparently don't care and they certainly are not demanding it. That's why. I knew the answer but I was hoping I was wrong but logical thought says unfortunately I'm not. I have to assume that it is okay with the American people that 2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines have died and another 16,420 have been wounded and maimed because the president lied and led us into an unjust and probably illegal but certainly immoral war. Let me repeat that in case anyone didn't get it.

2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines DEAD.
16,420 WOUNDED AND MAIMED.
Unjust/Probably Illegal/Certainly Immoral War

2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines DEAD.
16,420 WOUNDED AND MAIMED.
Unjust/Probably Illegal/Certainly Immoral War

2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines DEAD.
16,420 WOUNDED AND MAIMED.
Unjust/Probably Illegal/Certainly Immoral War

2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines DEAD.
16,420 WOUNDED AND MAIMED.
Unjust/Probably Illegal/Certainly Immoral War

2,214 American soldiers, sailors, and marines DEAD.
16,420 WOUNDED AND MAIMED.
Unjust/Probably Illegal/Certainly Immoral War

I am probably sounding bitter today but sometimes that happens. I have one more question before I end this rant. Thirty six years ago, when I returned from my last tour in Vietnam, Americans were marching in the streets. They were demanding an end to a war that the country should never have entered. I endured much as a result of being a soldier back then but I didn't let the abuses demoralize me and instead I just became more determined, as did many other soldiers, noncommissioned officers, and senior commissioned officers, to stick with it and help rebuild our demoralized and mostly dysfunctional military. We succeeded beyond our wildest dreams. We helped to build the most respected and powerful military force this nation and world has every seen or imagined. It was and is a proud, morally upright, and just army.

Many of those officers who stayed after the Vietnam conflict were still serving when George W. Bush became president and when he decided to invade Iraq. Many of those officers advised him, first against such an action, and then when he decided to invade anyway, on the correct course of action and how to successfully deal with the conflict. He, the president, as a result of their recommendations decided to ask those officers to leave and chose instead a group of yes men and women who have assisted him in creating what I believe will one day be known as one of our nation's greatest military fiascos.

My question is this. Actually I have more than one question. Here they are. Where are those who protested and insulted me and the other soldiers returning from Vietnam? Where are they today? Why have they now decided to be silent? Is it because they have become the "establishment"? Is it because they have lost their moral compass and sense of right and wrong? Or is it because they have become fat and lazy and can't be bothered? Is it so that another generation of soldiers can die and be wounded and maimed for another lie? Where are their voices?

Let me close with this. Our soldiers are brave upright men and women who serve with distinction. They are in Iraq fighting for their country. They have won the conflict of armies. They do not deserve to continue to be slaughtered in an insurgency that is not and should not be theirs to fight. It is this president's mistake and not theirs. It's time to bring them home.

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?
Rabbi Hillel (30 BC - 9 AD)


Those Are The Sergeant Majors Thoughts On That.

No comments: