Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Crossroad – Or What Democracy

I wanted to start this year’s blog posts off on an up beat note but I’m just afraid that that is not possible. I have pretty well kept up with the news over the holidays (TV, radio, online, and print) and I quite frankly don’t see a whole lot to be up beat about.

So let me get on with it. I believe we are a nation at a great crossroads in our history and I’m not sure many people see it that way. I realize it’s just my little view of the world but I believe that I am uncannily in tune with these things but that is a story for another day.

I believe that the United States is facing a decision point in history that is both momentous and frightening. By any measure if you look at Washington D.C. today and our government you see an executive branch of our government that is quite frankly running amuck. This is occurring for two basic reasons. First, it is occurring because we have and administration that is ideologically and morally corrupt and second it is occurring because we have a Congress and Senate that is led by those who are nearly as morally and ideologically corrupt as those in the executive branch and additionally they are afraid to perform their constitutionally mandated duties of oversight. I would also add here that I believe there is most probably a third reason and that is that main stream media (MSM) is as morally and ideologically corrupt as these politician or else I believe we would see far more dedicated, accurate, determined, aggressive reporting on the activities of this administration and Congress.

I do want to be clear about my use of these terms or more accurately the phrase, ‘morally and ideologically corrupt’. What I mean by morally corrupt is that I do not believe that the leaders of our country share the values of honesty and integrity that have become known as the standard or expected norm in American society. We do not normally expect or accept that our leaders will put themselves above the law as this administration has consistently done. I will not do a laundry list of those actions that I believe demonstrate their lack of these values here because I believe they are pretty well documented by a combination of minimally comprehensive MSM reporting and other probably more comprehensive reporting from what I believe is probably somewhat more reliable independent sources.

What I mean by ideologically corrupt is that I do not believe that the leaders of our country share the ideological values of mainstream America and that is that we are basically a peace loving nation that has tremendous respect for the sovereignty of other nations and the rule of law both domestic and international.

Let me also say that I do not know if there is or is not some great right wing conspiracy. What I do know and believe is that there is a very large number of very high profile powerful people whose activities are merging in what I believe is a huge nexus of graft, corruption, and in my mind traitorous activities. Let me be clear that when I use the term traitorous I do not mean it in the more traditional sense that they are spying on our country for gain or money. There is another way of being a traitor to ones country and that is what I am referring to. What they are doing is being greedy at the expense and detriment of our country and therefore their actions are traitorous.

I would invite you to go back to my many earlier post where I have listed the acts of the Bush administration and the leaders of Congress that I believe clearly demonstrates their ideological and moral bankruptcy.

Now we are approaching the crossroads and we will reach it this November. If during this midterm election the citizens of this nation do not see the treacherous path that this administration and leaders of Congress are taking us down and vote into office representatives that share mainstream Americas values and ideology then we are going to begin to ‘run’ down that road to democratic oblivion. These are strong words I know but I say that because I truly believe that this nation will lose its grip on democracy as we have known it. This president has run unfettered and nearly totally amuck for five very long years and I believe he has taken us very much nearer to being an autocracy than we could ever have imagined. If he is allowed to continue to govern (rule) so unfettered he will twist our democracy to a point of near if not real breaking.

Those Are The Sergeant Majors Thoughts On That.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our republic has been living on borrowed time for a while.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."
Alexander Tyler

Larry A Myers said...

A sad commentary if you really believe that.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I really believe that. It's just a matter of time before we aren't the most powerful nation in the world. Hopefully that will take a lot longer than any of us will be around, but it will happen.

The Alexander Tyler quote is quite accurate. He was writing about the Romans but it can easily be applied to the US. The US voters have clearly discovered they can vote themselves money from the public treasure and our politicians are entirely too easy to give them that option.

Larry A Myers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Larry A Myers said...

Yes I recognized the quote but I guess I am one of the naive ones who hopes that we Americans will prove, at least this one time, history wrong.

Anonymous said...

I think the key to solving our problems lies with the media. If you have not read it, please read Al Gores speech on this subject:

http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/10/5/14301/6133

Also I think the "new media"....blogging etc. will play a large part in the salvation of this mess. In that regard, I commend you and ask you to keep up the good work.

Publish early, publish often. Establish a name in the MSM. Call in and comment on radio. Voices like yours carry weight in this country. Make your "vote" count with your message.

Cheers